The Western Province, consisting of Colombo, Gampaha and Kalutara Districts, is the most socio-economically developed part in Sri Lanka. It contributes more than fifty percent to the Gross Domestic Product. The province could also be considered as the Heartland of the tourism industry of the island. It is the center of all distributional channels of tourism services and of directing the foreign tourists into the various parts of Sri Lanka. All in all, the Western Province becomes heir to much more resources than many other provinces in Sri Lanka.
The mission of Western Province is to lead on agricultural, agrarian development, minor irrigation, industries and environmental activities towards the uplift of living conditions of the population. Western Province encompasses the administrative districts of Colombo, Gampaha and Kalutara, which together form a commercial hub linked with a major airport and the harbour. It also includes 48 administrative bodies, 6 municipal councils, 13 urban councils and 29 Pradeshiya Sabhas, all of which assist in the administration of their respective levels.
Commitment of Western Province to sustainable development
The vision of Western Province Council is to pave its way through peace, coexistence and sustainable development. The mission is to lead agricultural, agrarian development, minor irrigation, industries and environmental activities towards the uplift of living condition of the people in the Western Province.
1. Formulation and implementation of policies, which facilitate more effective operation of activities in agriculture, agrarian development, industries and environmental affairs within the Western Province.
2. Identification of problems and constraints that emerge in the face of varied complexities within the province with a view to intensify the agricultural and agrarian development and formulation of plans, in cooperative suggested tactical measures and remedies
3. Strengthening the small industrialists to enable them to manufacture quality product to meet local and foreign market requirements.
4. Persuading, advocating creating awareness and building up recognition among small industrialists and handicrafts to produce traditional and up to date creative products utilizing resources available in the province to the utmost.
5. Maintaining and improving the minor irrigation system in the province by creation of public awareness so as to facilitate agricultural development thereby operating and optimum irrigation management mechanism
6. Establishing environment friendly industrial parks and creating healthy environment suitable for human habitation thereby taking measures to maintain a sustainable environment for human and animal life.
7. Effectively promoting agriculture, agrarian development minor irrigation, industries and environmental affairs ensuring in the province maximum contribution of local and foreign organization as well as the public and the private sectors.
8. Managing institutions to extend maximum cooperation to enhance the productive capacity of the province making use of modern technology and techniques.
9. Ensuring exemplary institutional management and coordination by proper utilization and coordination of the national policies with the policies of the provincial councils
10. Ensure sustainable development of the province by proper coordination of provincial and government policies and by securing the maximum technical and financial assistance from both the public and private sectors.